Looking for something fresh to put into your lunch box? Try this power packed Quinoa Chopped Salad.
Around here I make up a batch or two of grain based loaded cold salads each week. Making it easy to reach into the fridge and grab a healthy snack at any time. By adding a few key ingredients a salad can become a powerhouse meal.
Quinoa is an ancient grain that is a powerhouse of protein, antioxidants and fiber. It takes to dressing beautifully and holds up well as a salad, and it quicker cooking that most whole grains. Adding in a chopped apple and dried cranberries is a good way to get some fruit into your diet while brightening up a savory dish.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fruity olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl add the quinoa, cucumber, celery, pepper, apple and mint and toss. In a small bowl combine the garlic, lemon, oil, honey, salt and pepper, whisk smooth. Pour the dressing over the quinoa and toss.
- The salad keeps very well in the fridge for a few days.